I’m trying to wean myself off pop this week, and who knew caffeine headaches would be like this?
Anyway, I’m grumpy today, so I thought I’d list all the stuff on my mind I don’t like about churches in general.
- Inaccessible pastors
- Pastors who Instagram about their “time of rest” when they’re clearly using church time / money as an extra vacation
- Pastors who “need” to travel to biblical locations for sermon research… and then tweet about it
- Worship pastors (pretty much everything about them)
- Very secretive church budgets
- Satellite campuses
- Heavy-handed doctrine
- When ministries ask for volunteers and then don’t accept help from certain people (has happened to me 2x in the past year)
- Being shaken down for money from teens wanting to go on “missions trips” (because how much can you really accomplish in one week?)
- Boys clubs amongst elders and lead pastoral staff
- Old farts who refuse to budge on anything
- The death of potlucks (f’reals)
- Capital campaigns
- Putting only conventionally attractive people as part of your worship posse
- When said posse closes eyes and raises hands mid-song in the most pious pose I’ve ever seen
- Did I say worship pastors?
- Pretty much all televangelists
- Obnoxiously loud music (call me grandpa)
- An over-emphasis on the New Testament
- The phrase “I’ll pray for you” (Only because I highly doubt you will)
- Politicization in both directions
- A lack of support for your “lesser” staff
- Churches who maintain employees on annual contracts
- Perpetuating an environment of an emotional high with a total lack of depth (aka spiritual masturbation)
- “Spiritual retreats” (because I’d also love a paid day away from the office to walk in the woods and grill out)
- And the looming sense that no matter what you do, you’ll never be good enough for Jesus! *smiles*
But even despite all this, I will not turn my back on God. My faith remains important to me beyond all the problems of the church.
And if you’re like me, you’re in the right place!
Welcome to my blog.